Unit 2 Reflection

Unit 2 was definitely a lot more difficult for me to complete than I had anticipated. I began the Unit thinking that manipulating the WordPress sites would be fairly easy in comparison to some of the coding that I had to learn in the past. Though parts of it were definitely much easier, I had a bit of a hard time manipulating my .php files. I also wanted to begin designing my portfolio, but nothing that I tried seemed to work out the way that I wanted it to. The implementation of a new theme is definitely to come!

The main objective of this unit was to begin planning for my portfolio so that I could build upon my plans later. The first thing that I started with were my views. The views were a bit easier for me to plan out than anything else because I had already thought extensively about them for my portfolio in WRA 210. My list view and detailed views are fairly similar to the ones that I had in my 210 portfolio, mainly because when I did user testing last semester, I received very positive feedback on the way that they were laid out. Conveniently, the portfolios that I liked the best also happened to be designed in a way that I had originally planned to design mine. I very much enjoyed Olivia Asiala’s list view, but I didn’t like that I couldn’t read about her projects on her website. Because of this, I decided to combine her list view with Joe Curell’s detailed view, because his page offered more insight to the process behind his products.

The object model and reuse map proved to be a bit of trouble, but in the end I’m glad I completed them. After completing the reuse map, it was comforting to know that I already had a lot of my elements completed from past projects. I am someone that likes to be very organized, so planning out my object model before I began working on the portfolio was something that I definitely appreciated. I like that I now know exactly what is going to be connected/placed where when it comes time to design the pages.

Unlike the object model, the view, and the portfolio research, I had never done user stories before. Though I had thought about my audience in the past, I had never quite put myself in my audience’s shoes and thought from their mindset about what they would like to see. It was nice to see that a lot of the elements overlapped! However, I also found that there were elements that I should put in my portfolio that I hadn’t considered yet, such as my social media pages (I had decided last year I did not want to include them).

The dissection was definitely the element of this unit that I struggled with the most, but I was finally able to figure out how to complete the exercise.
1. Editing the .php file: I remove the social media icon that was in my footer
2. Removing a .php file: I deleted the .php file related to posts
3. Making changes in the customize panel of your website: I changed the color of the selected text
4. Editing the CSS in your editor window: I changed the size of the title of the blog
5. Deleting content that is stored in the db: I deleted the content of the landing page post… the page did not contain any text, but when I deleted them from the db the space-holders were deleted too, which is why the layout of the page changed
6. Editing content that is stored in the db: I added another post in the db, which can be seen in the “Recent Posts” section. The post title I added is “Title of Fake Post”
Though this unit frustrated me, it definitely taught me a lot! I still have a lot of work to complete and there is A LOT more learning to be done, but I definitely know a bit more now than I did before. Now that I have all of my plans for my portfolio, I will need to begin working on actually changing the theme and working on the layout! I cannot wait to see where my portfolio goes from here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *